Sunday, January 16, 2011

Imagine Your Child at Sylvan

          My son has recently turned 5, and with that milestone he changed Sunday School classes this week.  Looking at the signs outside the Sunday School doors, my daughter said "Alex will be in my class now."  When I told Alex this, he hugged me because he was so excited.
          At our church there is a big difference between the 3-4 year old class and the 5-12 year old class.  It is the big step; almost like moving from elementary into youth group.  He moves from having one teacher to having a whole group of leaders, and from playing with toys to going through activity groups, singing and crafts, stories and lessons. 
          I have the opportunity to watch him go through this milestone moment because I am on the computer outside his room, making nametags and coordinating any parent contact required through the church's powerpoint system.  It is exciting to see him behaving like a suddenly older child, adapting to being with older, more mature (sometimes) children.
          It made me think about summer camp because I can suddenly see him sitting in the lodge, listening to speakers and singing songs, watching skits and playing small parts in the program.  I can see his excitement and curiosity, his desire to explore, participate and belong.  His longing for friendship, camaraderie and encouragement from an older leader who cares about him.

          I heard recently that Sunday School programs have about 40 hours a year to impact your child for Christ.  I see how powerfully they are impacting him today, and I wish he could have more.  He's not ready for mid-week programs yet, but I need to find ways to get him involved.  Then I think about camp, where he has perhaps 72 waking hours a week to be influenced by his leaders; to experience a concentrated Christian environment.  It is so incredibly important.  We need to have a Sylvan Acres for our children.  We need to find out how we can help make that happen.  Is it fundraising, leadership, promotion, talking at church about it?  What can we do to make sure that our children have that unique experience.

          Picture your son or daughter sitting at the campfire, or in the lodge after lunch. Lined up for tuck shop or lying in a bunkbed listening to a young counsellor talking about how Christ has changed their life.  Then get involved in making it happen.  Go to http://www.sylvanacres.org/ and email the director.  Ask at your church if you are not at a VIA church now, and find out what your summer camp needs help with.  Your experience at Sylvan can help make their camp a little bit like Sylvan Acres.  And that's what your children need most.

No comments:

Post a Comment