Monday, July 18, 2011

Staff Relations

The key to any camp is its staff.  The most incredible physical property, the multi-million dollar facility, the most majestic setting  with the most amenable weather systems, cannot compete with a dilapidated inner-city gym and office cubicle dorms, if the better staff is in the gym.  Any camp wanting to improve has to spend its money on staff.
Not necessarily on salary, though.  The secret is in spending on the selection and training process.  Staff who are hired for their positive attitude, teachability and willingness to sacrifice their personal interests for the benefit of the camp will have an infectious and contagious effect on each other, and on everyone who comes in contact with them.  From that point on, the summer will be a success.  It cannot be otherwise.  Any obstacles, disasters or hurts will be overcome by the group operating in unison and mutual support.  Staffs have collapsed despite huge paycheques through a lack of unity and group fulfilment, while others have stuck together without paycheques because the members want to belong to the group and accomplish their goals together.
I have experienced an outstanding staff environment today at Camp Caroline in southern Alberta.  I volunteered for three days out of the summer, at a camp where my daughter is attending her first overnight program, and I know it would be easy to come and go without ever being noticed by the summer staff. 
However, I was given a staff T-shirt, a name badge, and a steady stream of sincere welcomes from every staff member I met throughout the day.  The camaraderie, support for each other and commitment I have seen today blows my mind.  It reminds me of Sylvan Acres, and the staffs that I was blessed to be part of.  I had mourned the loss of that camp, but am delighted to find that there is a camp my children can go to where they will experience the love and example that I wanted for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment